This is the Tokens sign that caught everyone's attention and as an author sometimes that is half the battle. It is a fun aspect that I pulled from my book.
Here are Tips when presenting to kids:
- Prepare a fun presentation.
- Ask the kids questions.
- Bring something that they can do. (I brought my what elf clan are you sign and quiz- it was a hit.)
- Do a drawing (because I could not give away that many tokens - I did a drawing in class for a token after they took the quiz and some of the bookmarks)
- Be prepared for the unexpected. (When the teacher turned her back one of the classes came running up to me and it was a little overwhelming- but it was also great to see their enthusiasm.)
- Be yourself (there had to be a reason you wrote for children or young adults - use that to connect to the kids).
- Most important - HAVE FUN (if you are having fun so will the kids.)
I loved the Experience here are some of the highlights.
- One boy was looking at my book that was being passed around the room and he started reading it and did not want to pass it on. - I took this to heart.
- One girl said she wanted to be a writer and was excited to meet me.
- The classes had a lot of great questions.
- The tokens were very popular, they were excited and talking about the different clans and which one they belonged in.
- The teacher told me, I was inspiring for being positive and starting my empire with just my family and myself. (Empire? That was the first time that I heard that word associated with me and my work- I promise to not let my head get big.)
- It was inspiring to hear the teacher, staff and children so excited to meet me. Their want to read and write stories was inspiring and heart lifting. It was an experience I would definitely be willing to repeat. It was fun.