Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The birth of book characters

Dear Reader,


I have been asked on more than one occasion where my characters come from. Why they are born of course, how silly to ask.

 

They are born from people in my life, or people that I meet that leave an expression on me, whether it is a good or bad one.

Papakoosigun, Waazakone, and Wakangli are based off me in some aspects. I can see parts of myself when I look at them and I can see events that happened to me, happen to them. All I can hope is that they are strong enough to handle it. Some of the situations such as being kidnapped was a fear of my past and almost happened to me twice. But I only make up part of them, just like children they have some aspects of me and some aspects of others.

The main male characters are inspired my husband who I admire greatly. One of the characters in Hidden Powers get some of her aspects from my oldest daughter. The other characters have aspects from family and my other kids. It is great to see them come alive on the page. One of the characters is based on my mother and carries her name. She asked me if I killed off the character, I laughed and said no.

I have a character bible that I am transferring all my character info into. It contains all the info on a character. I can look back at it and it helps me not to make mistakes. Sometimes I get into writing and their voices are so strong I do not have to look at the character book. Those are the days that make me happy, the story just flows.
 

FAVORITE QUOTE WHEN IT COMES TO CHARACTERS:  “No tears in the writer, No tears in the reader. No surprise for the writer, No surprise for the reader.” Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment