Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dear Readers,

I did a book reading at Black Hills State University last night so I wanted to touch on how to do a great book reading.

I think that I did okay but anyone who says that they cannot improve makes me wonder. I can honestly say I was nervous.

Go here for some great advice.

One piece of advice they cover is talk more, read less. Yeah, I did this one but I think my rhythm was a little off and I am going to blame that on nerves. It was the first time that I did a reading on a stage, usually I am in a room and it is more personal with the audience. My advice to add to this is sit down and make it more personal with the audience and I wished I had did this. Next time definitely.

Another thing is picking your excerpt carefully. I did this but I have watched many authors readings and I have a piece of advice to. You need to give a little background up to the point of where you are starting to read. A little about the story (back of the book) or small details that lead up to this scene. I did this, but this is another area I can improve on.

Say Thank You. It is hard to remember sometimes especially when you are nervous, but it is good to do. In that regard, I want to say thank you to the Reading Club at Black Hills State University for having me. It was a great experience.

It is hard to get in front of people sometimes, I know that most writers are more comfortable in front of a computer than in front of a crowd. However, doing readings and signings are part of the job and a bonus is you get to meet a lot of great people.

Does anyone have any great advice to add to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment