Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Finding my studio part 2 of ?? - fabric storage


Aniin. It is all about how to Mino bimaadizi (lead a good life).

Part of me leading a good life is reducing stress by being organized. So today I am going to share about what I have found to store my fabric in my studio.

I have fabric for the cradleboards that I make.  I searched and searched the web and I finally found something that I was willing to try on Pinterest. I did it a little bit different than what I saw. For this section of fabric, they are not big pieces so this worked really well for them.



I used chain that I bought at lowes. 10 foot long (Sorry can't remember the size). I took the chain to the dowel section opened the container and found that a 7/16 dowel fit into the holes. I bought 10 dowels and will add as I need to.

Then I used paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls (masking taped together) to use to roll the fabric on. This gave me a variety of sizes and then I used masking tape to secure the fabric to the rolls.  I am still in the process of collecting enough rolls for all my fabric so I have also folded some of the fabric over the dowels so it is all in one place. And I can see all the fabric in one place.



Then I used 30 pound strength picture hanging hooks to hold the chain to the wall. It seems pretty sturdy.
This is the link that I found to inspire this great organizer. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/541557923919149388/


I also have fabric for my studio backgrounds.

I have concrete walls since my basement is in the basement. So What I did was use 10 pound picture hanging wire that I looped through the holes of the hook and attached to the studs above the concrete wall.


I followed the direction of the pinterest link, but to be honest I am not really happy with the boards that hold my fabric. They seem really flimsy and are not sitting up very well. It could be the way that my hooks are hanging and they do not have enough support so that the boards are pulling on it. It works at least for now.

There are 10 fabrics that are hanging on the stand/ holder. Here is the link that I used to inspire this project https://www.pinterest.com/pin/541557923918150513/

Lastly I have fabric for my batik paintings. I have yet to have a special place just for this fabric. I want to keep it separated from the rest so I do not accidently use it so I can have it for the paintings. I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do with it, but for now this is a start.

I enjoy having these in my studio. It is a step in an organized direction.

Have an amazing creative day.

Question of the week: How do you organize your fabric?

No comments:

Post a Comment